Friday, July 29

The workings of a two year old

I am so grateful to have Xav in my life. Hubs and I have been going through a rough patch and as we figure out ways to better communicate with each other, the little one is just blowing me away with his ability to comprehend and empathise.

Today, he placed his hand on my shoulder and asked me if I was okay. He then leaned in to give me cuddles. Later on, he did the same checking in on me and asked me to sit with him (to take time out). I needed it.

This kid does not take emotions to heart and is able to move on and focus on other things. Which I’m so proud and relieved by. In fact, I’m learning from him.

When his favourite monster truck broke, he approached it with curiosity. He observed that a part has broken off. And he later found the part. To which he then said “it’s okay, it’ll get better”. 

I love his ability to not soak in sorrow and see the possibilities. This is also the same kid who passed me water and said that I’d feel better after drinking some of it. 

It’s funny the things that he has picked up from us. The little things that matter. 

He has been testing the waters with pushing boundaries. And throws the biggest tantrums when he does not get things his way. EG: screentime which is always on his agenda. It’s easy to give in but we make a real effort not to. And focus on play. 

It is coming through in the way he imagines with his toys. I actually enjoy playtime. Hearing all the things that he thinks of. And the expressions he makes. I just love this little munchkin. 

Some memorable sayings:

“Yes, I think that’s a great idea”
“Holey moley!”
“I need the monster mutt monster truck” and his response to how he was going to find money - “sell ice from the ice machine”
“Mummy, you look pretty”
“Do I look fancy? I look fancy!”
*claps hands* “You sing great”
*pinches my cheeks* “Chunky”
“Are you happy?”
“Are you angry?”
“I’ve got nothing to eat. I’m so hungry. I want candy”
*smells my breath* “Is that chocolate? Open your mouth!”

This kid is so animated too when he calls out the names of his monster trucks. Like he is an announcer on TV. It cracks me up.

We’re so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment